1 Dress 4 Looks Take 64

10:00:00

Turns out one doesn’t stop buying new main pieces so easily. The Snow Dot skirt from Baby turned up on Xianyu for a price too good to resist and now it lives with me. Mine is the re-release and FYI, in case any of you were considering getting your paws on it - do! The moment it arrived to me, I was in awe at all that cotton and lace loveliness. And even though I plan on it being more of an everyday/casual skirt, that doesn’t mean that I can’t play with some other ideas in the background.

Look 1: Token Retro

| The Seamstress of Bloomsbury Jive blouse | Dancing Days cardigan | Angelic Pretty Fancy Candy OTKs | offbrand heels, earrings, necklace, and bracelet | Eat Me hair tie | Sweet Dolly House ring |

Hello and welcome to Tricolour But With Black. There’s never a bad time to throw a retro-inspired coord with a tricolour scheme, which is why I’m kicking off with that. Yes, a blouse with a black collar would’ve been better, but in the absence of one this one can tie in the lighter stripes of the socks a bit better. As always, imagine this with a curly ponytail and retro makeup for a full look.

Look 2: Token Oldschool

| BtSSB 134*405 shirring blouse | offbrand socks, shoes, and beret | Cutie Creator wrist cuffs |

One of the great things about these posts is that I don’t actually have to wear the looks featured here and can focus on exploring ideas this way. Oldschool isn’t my jam, but this skirt leans itself so well into oldschool being a rerelease of an actual oldschool design and all. Though because it’s not a style that I wear, I very clearly lack the pieces for it and it shows. Imagine this with a ringlet wig, that would hopefully pull the look together a bit more.

Look 3: Token Goth

| offbrand blouse and ring | Annzley corset | Teja Jamilla tights | Vivienne Westwood x Melissa Anglomania heels | Antique Beast headdress | After Midnight necklace | Eulalia earrings | Lauralp pin | 

Yes, I am aware that this is a sweet skirt. But I can simultaneously grumble at people putting together an all black coord with sweet pieces and calling it gothic, and use my own black sweet piece to create a gothic coordinate out of. And hand on heart, this may be my favourite here? The textures of all these black pieces work so harmoniously together.

Look 4: Token Bittersweet

| Dear Celine Polka Dot Waltz blouse | Angelic Pretty Sealing Border OTKs | Topshop boots | Cutie Creator black headbow | Ruby Rose clip | vintage minihat clip | Star Glazed Delights ring | Fluffy Tori patch | Banned Retro Bella belt |

Am I doing it? Guys, am I doing it? Even if not, I am so pleased with this coord and the more emo nods within it. There’s a mini hat, striped socks, chunky(ish) boots, the phrase “black is my happy colour” - all we need is some eyeliner and a playlist. Part of me wishes I still had my skull-print arm warmers with the iconic thumb hole. Those were iconic...


The beauty of a simple black skirt is that I could’ve done so many other tokens: token circus lolita, token punk, token sailor, token larme, token dark academia… You name it, it’s very likely possible to do. And despite what I said at the beginning, there are some looks in here (as well as some that only flashed through my head as initial ideas) that I actually would love to throw on my body. Will this be the skirt that will turn me over to the dark side? That may be a bit of a far fetched claim for now, but I’m old enough to know to never say never.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.