Stuff Your Face with Honey Cake

10:00:00

It’s a very catchy name for a meet, isn’t it? It does what it says on the tin. Unfortunately no-one wore Honey Cake itself, though this meet was heavier in sweet outfits than we usually get in our comms. Probably because I don’t know of anyone in either Leeds or Sheffield comms who actually owns that print. Oh well. Pancake meets are a must around Pancake Day and Sheffield has a great Canadian place, so we absolutely had to go!

| BtSSB Secret AIR MAIL from Sweet Kitty JSK | Lady Sloth blouse |
Angelic Pretty Cinema Doll OTKs | Bodyline heels | Imperial
Fiddlesticks headbow | Four Aces ring | Metamorphose necklace |
Vendula bag | vintage gloves | offbrand beret |

Off shoulder look on a cold early March morning? Duh, darling,
everything for fashion!

 Look at those curls! You were sorely missed later during the meet...


Only when putting together this outfit I realised that I had worn this same dress for pancake meet last year. I guess my spreadsheet of what was worn when went full circle – and last year Pancake Day was in February, whereas this year it fell in March. Truthfully, my initial idea was a little different, but it fell through for the simple reason that I don’t own an apron. So I reverted to my default tricolour retro look, which I actually haven’t worn properly in a while. Though what I photographed at home was a bit different to what I actually went out in because let’s face it, it’s not even officially spring yet and it would be even more daft to go out just like this into the rain and wind. Also, thank God for pictures because these curls did not survive the weather we were tortured with on that day, so it’s great to have something to remember them by, as you can see above.

Having caught the slightest break in the rain to catch a bus to the train station, I made the trip to Sheffield, which I haven’t been to since December and both winter ILDs. It’s so refreshing after what felt like forever of Saturday rail strikes to be able to catch a train on a Saturday without any hassle. A bunch of us met up at Sheffield train station, as our trains arrived within maybe 15 minutes of each other, then we headed to the venue.

I tried being artsy on the train. Very hard when you're right handed and the train is shaky.

The Cabin was not where I expected to find it, but it is very central and easy to get to. Apparently it’s incredibly popular, so glad we had a reservation! It was pretty busy when we got there and there was about 45 minutes wait expected on food orders, so at least we didn’t have to fight for seats too. This meant lots of chill and catch-up time once we’d placed our orders, as this was a very well attended meet with some new faces and some I’ve not seen in a long time.

Very reasonably priced, especially for how much pancakes you get!

One friendly bear in need of a name (though later his badge said that
he was called Rocky).

Artsy shot of my tea during a very brief moment of bright sunshine.


And when the pancakes finally did arrive… Oh wow! I am still pretty impressed with myself for finishing, because I did go into full ‘treat yo self’ mentality and got three toppings – not least because they matched my outfit. But these were some very delicious pancakes and so very much worth the food-induced sleepiness afterwards. 10/10 would have again – though at the same time I would love to try the waffles from their menu, those who opted for waffles seemed just as happy with their choice.


Me? Choosing my food for aesthetic reasons? Never! Also, trying too hard with that Misako and food pose.

Added a little extra maple syrup because why not. 10/10 would eat again!

After recovering a little from all that food (we did very well too, only a few people were defeated by their pancakes/waffles, though not without some utterly valiant effort), we headed towards the Winter Gardens for some pics, and then for a quick wander round the gallery inside. A few people decided to stay around after that too, but as I was still recovering from an illness that hit me like a tonne of bricks earlier that week, I opted to catch an earlier train home.


This is what I actually wore: Hush Puppies boots and a cardigan.
(Well, and a jacket, but that's obviously not pictured here.) My hair was
still wavy, though far from the glory of that morning. R.I.P. curls.

I genuinely lost my balance here, but like how dynamic this picture
ended up being.


Who else had a Pancake Day meetup? Or is it something different just before Lent where you are? Polish people have Fat Thursday where we eat doughnuts on the Thursday before Lent, so I’d be interested to see what other customs people might have. At the end of the day, they all make for good sweet meetups, right?

2 comments:

  1. This sounds fun! And choosing toppings to match your outfit is (to my mind) an excellent idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're going for a pancake meet wearing sweet and *aren't* choosing toppings to match your outfit, are you even a sweet lolita?

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.