Cinema Doll Unboxing and Review

10:00:00

If you asked me last year, whether I’d be this excited about Cinema Doll, I probably would’ve said no. It is a piece that I have admired, but never seriously considered owning given how much it sold for second hand in my preferred cut and colourway. The MTO during the AP x LaForet Museum event took me (well, everyone) by surprise and for a moment, because I’ve never actively aimed to own it, I had doubts. But then they went away, I placed the order via Muuh and now, whole nine months later, it’s finally in my hands – and I am over the moon!

She is beauty, she is grace - she has some lovely lace!

Let’s be real here: this picture does not do Cinema Doll justice at all! It is absolutely stunning, so much more intricate than probably any picture can do it justice. The print is crisp and the cotton fabric wonderfully smooth to the touch. The rustling sound it makes when it moves is soothing to the soul, I could listen to it all day.

Even more importantly for me, it fits wonderfully! I had some worries about length of the skirt and the bodice, so it’s a big relief that they are both perfect. Why can’t AP stop doing their stupid ‘only looks good on a broomstick’ cuts and do more of this?

I am also pleased to report that I have found absolutely no issues with quality. Whilst I can’t directly compare it to the original release, I’ve found no stray or loose threads, everything is sewn on evenly, the quality of the materials is brilliant and they even pattern matched the skirt in a way that, whilst not 110% perfection, is not jarringly obvious. Considering how not all AP releases are pattern matched (cough Diner Doll cough) and how people have been complaining of AP’s declining quality, it is reassuring that there were no issues with this MTO piece. The reason it retained its value second hand is because the original design was not only stunning, but well made and that’s what we want when we reserve an MTO piece.

But enough of my ramblings, I’ll leave you with some pictures, because that’s what you’re really here to see!

Bodice detail.

Lace on the straps.

Print closeup.

Print closeup.

Print closeup.

Print closeup.

Hem lace (I only just noticed that you can see the stitching on it).

Love me some proper eyelets for your corset lacing. Extra luxury points for using a velveteen ribbon!

Waist tie.

As always, Muuh was wonderful as a shopping service and they even wrapped my envelope in a plastic bag to guarantee that the dress would arrive without damage. If you want to see some moving pictures of the dress, including how it fits on me, then check out the unboxing video below.



4 comments:

  1. Oh wow. Just wow! I've always liked Cinema Doll, but I've never loved it until now. Thank you for sharing such excellent close-ups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I relate - I admired it, but once it actually arrived in my hands I fell in love.

      Delete
  2. I never realized it had eyelets for the corset lacing, that's super nice! I hate when brands try to use lace for it (looking at you BTSSB....), and while I haven't had problems with AP's ribbon or fabric loops, I feel like the corset lacing just looks nicer in grommets? Either way, very nice touch, and the velvet ribbon is super nice as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grommets not only look nicer, but are more durable and easier to thread. Even though a loop is also fairly durable, ribbons are usually quite awkward to thread through those. And yeah, for all my love for BtSSB/AatP, the fact that they just use some lace for corsel lacing loops is despicable.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.