Writing Coords for NaNo

10:00:00

Here’s a little confession: I’m doing National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo or NaNo for short) this year. I’ve done it for the first time back in 2013 and then Camp NaNo in July 2018. If you are a writer or know someone who is, then you’ll know how reclusive we can get when writing takes over. To be perfectly honest, I’m not sure how well this year’s NaNo will go for me because despite planning for it for months, I still ended up with so many other things to do that involved me not being at home where I write. Basically the first half of this month I will barely have a weekend to myself, which will really test how well I can organise myself and squeeze in the writing into those tiny weekday evening spaces (where I also have to make sure I eat, prep for work and sleep). At least the blogging is something that I could mostly plan out and schedule in advance.

I thought that it would be a fun idea to put together some writing themed outfits to celebrate NaNo 2019 in a frilly way. Chances are that none of these will get worn this month because dressing up in frills is time that I can’t spend writing. Although who knows for sure...

| Song and Temple Fairytale Library skirt | Primark blouse | Angelic Pretty Lovely Ribbon OTKs | Resailan Jewelry Box barette | Fantastic Grim Jewellery necklace | Latte Galaxy brooch | offbrand shoes |

The first NaNo outfit is a generic one. Whilst I may not be writing a fairy tale, books is why we’re all here in the first place. I wanted something that was cute yet comfortable, more on the casual side, to make it something that I could potentially wear if I wanted to frill up for writing. As such, accessories are kept to the minimum and whilst these shoes here are relatively comfy, they are optional if I were to just stay in and write. Nothing beats slippers.

| AatP Sheherazade ~ One Thousand and One Nights ~ JSK I and headdress | Bodyline blouse | Taobao socks | Irregular Choice Total Freedom shoes | Angelic Pretty wrist cuffs | vintage belt | offbrand shawl and necklace |

The second outfit is more on theme with what I’m trying to word-vomit out of my system this month. My novel is set in a fantasy world very heavily inspired by Mughal India. If that doesn’t call for the Sheherazade print, then nothing does. I’d love to do something as Indian as possible here, but: a) that wouldn’t be practical to wear just for writing; and b) for a white woman, there is an incredibly thin line between admiration and appropriation. I guess as a flatlay it should be fine? In a ‘this is something maybe @_avina_ or @shasha_mango could wear’ kind of way? (FYI, the Indian necklace is a remnant of my obsession with Indian films. I could not bear to part with this set, it’s very special to me and it’s just insanely gorgeous!)

The set consists of a necklace, earrings, bracelets with rings attached to them and a tikka, a form of headdress worn in a way that ends at the top of one's forehead.

| Metamorphose Polka Dots Shirring Pinafore JSK | Innocent World OTKs | Fluffy Tori pin | offbrand jumper and slippers |

Let’s be honest though, if I was really to frill up for staying in and writing, I’d go for something as minimum effort and as comfortable as physically possible. This JSK is one of the most comfortable things I own and I find it much easier to wear it in non-lolita ways. All it needs is a comfy cardigan and a mug of hot tea, and you’re good to go! Because not every lolita coordinate has to be fancy or elaborate. Extremely casual outfits are still valid and they bring us closer to the fashion’s roots as street fashion by reminding us of the more wearable looks. And did I metion that nothing beats slippers? (No concrit plz, I know this is hella fancay and don't need no haters :P)


Please, send a prayer my way if you’re reading this. NaNoWriMo is such an exciting thing to do, but it does take over one’s life. I imagine the only time and place I’ll get this month to engage with other things will be my breaks at work (I might end up doing more bathroom breaks just for a bit of sanity!). I promise that I’m still alive behind all this! Though if you spot me lingering on Facebook or Instagram for too long, do tell me to get back to writing because I have a daily wordcount to meet.

2 comments:

  1. Sitting and writing in that last coord would honestly be a dream - so comfy! And you know what? You've inspired me to actually get some words down on one of my (many) started-but-unfinished projects tonight. No more procrastinating, just write it! Good luck with NaNo ^__^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing that could make that last coord even comfier would be tights instead of OTKs. Ain't nobody got time for that sliding sock or sock glue, when you gotta write!
      I'm glad this has inspired you to get some words down too, best of luck! I'm not the best at pep talks, but if you need any words of encouragement, I can offer those.
      So far I'm just under 15k words in and only just about finished setting up the plot, so Mana have mercy on my soul xD

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.