1 Dress 4 Looks Take 61

10:00:00

This is an interesting point of this series: the first time showcasing a dress that I haven’t worn yet. I believe this model is called Velvet Cake, though translations vary, and it’s a stretch velvet number from the very inexpensive Chinese brand Alice Girl. Getting it was a bit of a gamble, since I had no prior experience with the brand, but at the price (which was around £20, if memory serves me right) I decided to give it a shot. As is common with preorders, this one was slightly delayed, so by the time it reached me, the weather was firmly not velvet weather. But that won’t stop me from putting together some flatlay coords so that when it is cool enough, I already have some options!

Look 1: The Widow

| offbrand tights and brooch | Elf Armorie Cupid’s Heart shoes | vintage hat | Puvithel Crystal Heart necklace | Voodoodolly ring |

I toyed with the idea of adding the black corset to it as well and whilst it would work, for now I’m happy to let the dress do all the talking. The idea still reads through with the dramatic hat and black fishnets. It’s simple and elegant, complimenting the dress and putting it in the spotlight. Definitely something to consider wearing once possible.

Look 2: The Sweetheart

| Snag Sweetheart tights | Elf Armorie Cupid’s Heart tights | Cutie Creator Maiden’s Prayer headbow | Kreation Studio earrings | Violet Fane Post Office brooch | Patisserie Pink Lock and Key brooch | 4 Aces ring | handmade ring | Angelic Pretty bag |

Alternatively known as the Valentine because this is definitely something that I’d wear to a Valentine’s Day date. Sure, there are God knows how many shades of red, none of which really match, but isn’t that precisely the spirit of Valentine’s Day? That and everything with hearts and love letters. Which is exactly what this is.

Look 3: The Empress

| AatP Arabesque OTKs | Irregular Choice Total Freedom shoes | offbrand kokoshnik and ring | Innocent World gloves | handmade chain of office |

This probably needs a bit of work, though I haven’t yet put my finger quite on what it is that’s needed here. The idea started with the kokoshnik and elevating this dress to something very regal, fit for sitting on a throne and passing judgements. It seems to be around 80% there, I think a less cutesy heel would’ve helped a lot, as well as maybe something to decorate the skirt portion of the dress a bit more? I’m not sure yet, but I’m keen on getting it to a 100% done.

Look 4: The Cool Girl

| offbrand jacket and earrings | Angelic Pretty Alphabet Marine OTKs | Bodyline shoes | Song and Temple Fairytale Library scrunchie | Rose Marie Seoir necklaces | Fluffy Tori pin |

Although I did my best to avoid crowding this post with layered looks to instead focus on showing how much can be done with the OP as it is and fully showing, I couldn’t resist this one. Mostly because after years of hunting I finally have a varsity jacket that ticks all my boxes and it’s too damn warm to wear it - even looking at this flatlay gets me uncomfortably hot. But picture this with a fringe and a curled hair ponytail, some winged eyeliner, red lipstick, maybe even a pair of sunglasses (for the drama more than anything else) and this girl is definitely sitting at the cool table at her school!


To be completely honest, when this dress arrived, I almost parted with it. Some of it was just my feelings needing to sort themselves out, but the price of this dress definitely shows and I was a little disappointed with its construction even though I had no real reason to be. But now, after some time has passed and especially after putting these few coords together, I feel much more optimistic about it. I will try to make it work first and if after that the spark still doesn’t appear, I can make a decision then. But for now I’d like to at least get a chance to wear even one of these - or the ones that haven’t made it to the post. Seriously, just imagine this with a witch hat!

2 comments:

  1. ooh, i love the versatility that i would never have thought of in this op! i think for the regal coord, maybe a gold waist chain! and the gloves somewhat stand out to me, being so white

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep meaning to make a belt out of the same materials as that chain of office, so that I can have both, but like all craft projects it lives on the back burner. And I know what you mean about the gloves. They are lace, so with skin showing through when worn they wouldn't be so stark white, but my other gloves aren't as dramatic as these ones.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.