January Coords Roundup

10:00:00

Right, somehow time completely slipped past me and even though January felt as long as month should, I still managed to miss posting the coords roundup whilst actually still in January. Though I guess those are just details.

*~*~*~*

Coord 1: The Book of Mormon

| Song and Temple Fairytale Library skirt and bow brooch | offbrand cutsew, tights, bolero and shoes |

Starting the year as I meant to go on: by seeing a musical and dressing up for it. As well as cutting myself some slack with outfits and coord photo taking. It was odd at first, fighting that instinct, but I grew more comfortable with it as the day went on. The Book of Mormon was also very fun to watch, I had a good time and would definitely recommend it to others if you’re looking for something funny.

*~*~*~*

Coord 2: Dark Academia

| Angelic Pretty Crystal Dream Carnival Tiered JSK | Dear Celine Magic Book OP | Putumayo OTKs | Hush Puppies boots | Cutie Creator Maiden’s Prayer headbow | Twylite Fashion hair clip | Anabelle Wigs wig | offbrand necklace and rings | unknown earrings | Patisserie Pink Bottled Stardust brooch | Violet Fane The Apotheque brooch | Violet Fane Esoteric Shop brooch |

I forgot how nice having portrait shots could be instead of selfies. Effort, but worth it, I'll try to do more of those this year.

Similarly with flatlay detail shots, when there are a lot of accessories in a coord, this is a great way to showcase them all.

Shortly before the end of 2021 I received an email with another offer of free glasses in exchange for a post on Instagram. Whilst at the time I found the range that I could choose from a bit, to put it bluntly, boring, once I had the frames in my hands, I appreciated having something darker and more neutral. That drew my mind and inspiration towards dark academia vibes, resulting in another OP x JSK kind of look - though admittedly I like this 2022 version better than the 2021 one. Granted, I didn’t actually wear all this for the whole day because I wanted to be chill and comfortable, but it’s still a look that I’m happy to have put together. It’s just a shame that between the offer coming in and the glasses arriving I had an eye test, which showed that my prescription has changed slightly… I can still see through these ones, but it’s no longer ideal and I’ll be looking into replacing the lenses in all of my current glasses anyway, so depending on the cost, I’ll include these ones too.

*~*~*~*

Coord 3: The Choir of Man

| Innocent World White Double Braid Tartan skirt | Amavel cardigan | Innocent World Belle Epoque OTKs | Hush Puppies boots |  Cutie Creator headbow | offbrand necklace and crown brooch | Amadea Kingdom The Adventurer D20 brooch |

The first of a number of selfies where my trying to work out the lighting situation ended up with photos where I look extra pale.

Knowing how Amadea Kingdom were a bit bummed when this series of D&D dice brooches didn't take off, it breaks my heart a little every time someone asks about them when I share detail photos.

To celebrate my birthday I went to London for a few days, living as boujie life as I could afford. This included seeing a musical every night that I was in London, which inspired all the outfits that I’ve worn. To see The Choir of Man (which I completely fell in love with, why am I not in London to go and see it again over and over?) I decided to put together something comfy with nods to ‘the lads down at the pub’. Granted, my attempt went a bit more Jon Richardson than actual lads down at the pub, with the cardigan and the smart collar, but eh, who cares. Love how this skirt looks with green and absolutely love this cardigan, I’m going to have to keep a closer eye on Amavel second hand and maybe get a few more.

*~*~*~*

Coord 4: Hamilton

| Metamorphose Gold Braid Tuck Pinafore JSK | Infanta Swan Lake blouse | vintage jacket and medal brooch | Angelic Pretty Crown Ribbon OTKs | Hush Puppies boots | After Midnight beret | offbrand earrings | Angelic Pretty Chess Chocolate Emblem brooch |

Considering how this was hair after a whole day, it really held up surprisingly well (in braids rather than fully exposed to the elements, but still).

I've committed to the crown, might as well embrace that.

On my second day I went to see Hamilton, which was one of the shows my parents bought me tickets for as a present. Some could say that it’s extremely bold to turn up to Hamilton in a red coat, but at least I’ve done that in the UK. If I ever get a chance to see it in the USA, I’ll be sure to wear a blue jacket. I must say that I adore the way this jacket and JSK work together, I wouldn’t have expected the dress to lend itself to military looks quite as well as it did.

However, that was in the evening, for other stuff I did during the day I went with a more relaxed outfit, which I’m also adding here. Even though this one was worn longer, I’m not necessarily counting it as much as I do the evening look. However, I do think it’s good to show how you can keep your frills more chill, comfortable, and practical for other activities. Fancy dresses are still valid when worn in less fancy ways and I want to help normalise that by showing them when I have any record.

Still pre-braiding my hair for the day, though with plenty of comfort changes.

*~*~*~*

Coord 5: Come From Away

| Angelic Pretty Cinema Doll JSK | offbrand top and tights | Innocent World Tulle Lace Millefeuille bolero | Hush Puppies boots | Manda Rin Designs hat and brooches | handmade necklace | Tiny Passerine Creations The Duchess’ Tea earrings |

Finally a daylight selfie!

They were like a pair of guardians.

Ok, I full on chickened out, I should’ve worn my Airline JSK to see Come From Away, but that felt like a bit too much. So instead I went with this super classy option, basically imagining myself to be a passenger on board first class, which is how I spent most of my trip anyway. The brooches and the hat were handmade by my Secret Santa, brooches specifically to match Cinema Doll, and they elevated what is a relatively simple coord into something that little bit more fancy. Although again, I didn’t actually wear the hat on the day - I knew I’d have to take it off at the theatre and I didn’t have a tote bag to carry it with me, plus the spoons weren’t quite there. But it still got immortalised. That was the day that I spent entirely out, first pottering around Harrods (where an employee working one of the perfume counters complimented my dress and asked if it was from Dior - Dior wishes), and later meeting a friend for Japanese souffle pancakes, before heading to the theatre.

*~*~*~*

Coord 6: Six and Thirty

| AatP Sheherazade ~ One Thousand and One Nights ~ JSK I | offbrand top | AatP jacket | Resailan Jewelry Box tights | Hush Puppies boots | Ebony & Ivory hair clip | Tiny Passerine Creations The Duchess’ Tea earrings | Puvithel Crystal Heart brooch | Annie’s Flower brooch |

Sittin' here all alone... on a throne... in a palace that I happen to own...

Noticed this eagle on my dress as I was having the afternoon tea and couldn't help from admiring it.

It was only until the actual day of my 30th birthday arrived that I realised that I planned all my outfits around the musicals and nothing else. If I was planning something to wear just for the occasion of my birthday, I probably would’ve gone with something different. Not that I’m actually complaining, this outfit went through a few changes over the course of the day, first for when I went shopping in Covent Garden, and then for taking afternoon tea at my hotel. This is its final iteration that I wore to see Six, which was also bought for me by my parents. Whilst I wasn’t necessarily planning to make an homage to any particular queen, going with something royal and vaguely Tudor-esque instead, I can’t deny that I ended up looking like an Anne of Cleves stan (which isn’t a bad thing, Anne of Cleves was arguably the winner in the history of Henry’s wives). My seat was also so close to the stage and right in the centre that I’m sure the cast members noticed me, I feel like I saw one or two meaningful looks cast my way (in a good way). My love for this show is no secret and I had an absolute blast, every single one of the cast members was fantastic and I went full on ‘treat yourself’ in the merch shop. If any of you spot any crown-shaped ita bags, do let me know, please.

An earlier version of this outfit when I was just having my afternoon tea.

*~*~*~*

Coord 7: Park Date

| Innocent World White Double Braid Tartan skirt | Axes Femme top | everything else is offbrand |

Nothin much, something warm and practical to wear for a walk in the park.

*~*~*~*

Coord 8: Valentine Vibes

| Bodyline L262 JSK | offbrand top and necklaces | Snag Sweetheart tights | Irregular Choice Flickety Kiss shoes | Cutie Creator Maiden's Prayer headbow | Big Pink Boutique earrings | Madillustration brooch | Patisserie Pink Lock and Key brooch |

Truth be told, I'm not 100% happy with any of my selfies from that day, even though I loved the look, but I am working on being less critical of things I can't control (like my face).

The heart pendant is one I nicked from the Winter ILD's Secret Santa game.

This was way too early to be getting into the spirit of Valentine’s Day, but screw that, I have finally found a way to accept the aesthetic without compromising on my values, so why not enjoy it. I’ve also looked at the November 2020 outfit with this JSK and felt like updating that. I would definitely wear that to a date if I had one that day, it was cute and flirty.

*~*~*~*

Coord 9: Kind of Already Done This

| Resailan Jewelry Box JSK | offbrand top and jewellery | Innocent World Rose Lace Millefeuille bolero | Enchantlic Enchantilly Crown of the Rose Princess tights | Deary shoes | Cutie Creator headbow |

That collar did not want to stay within the choker, it was a right faff to get it right for the photo.

Tiny cameo.

Except that that previous one never got a photo. I can’t remember the exact coord, but I remember wearing this JSK with this bolero for one of my very early videos. I probably would’ve cringed a bit at that attempt now, so what better opportunity to update that and wear some jewel toned tricolour? Although granted, the work from home day was a bit manic, I’m surprised I even managed to dress up at all.

*~*~*~*

Coord 10: Tartan Saturday

| Juliette et Justine La Couronne Classique Robe OP | offbrand blazer, beret, earrings, ring and brooch | Vivienne Westwood x Melissa Anglomania shoes | Promised Land Creations necklace | Strike a Pose pin | handmade bracelets |

Somehow the tartan and the beret here manage to look more arty than punk. Just an observation.

This crown on the dress is such a nice detail, very Vivienne Westwood.

I am very pleased that I gave in and bought this dress. It’s my first JetJ piece and the cut and length are just perfect! What’s less perfect is that this is a wool blend dress that’s completely not lined - not good for an OP, especially considering how JetJ is one of the more premium brands. I expected more from them. Still, this dress is definitely a favourite once I layered it with something soft underneath. The coord you see above is what I wore to film a video and since JetJ frequently coords without legwear, I figured that so can I. But since an amended (i.e. simplified) version of this look was my outfit for going out in the evening, I was sensible and covered my legs for that. Though in the rush to get out of the house I did not take even a mirror selfie of that amended version.

*~*~*~*

Coord 11: Night at the Musicals

| Metamorphose Polka Dots tiered skirt | offbrand top and belt | Angelic Pretty Romantic Angel OTKs | Bodyline shoes | handmade (not by me) hair tie | Big Pink Boutique earrings | Rose Marie Seoir necklace | Patisserie Pink Lock and Key brooch | Star Glazed Delights ring |

All the hearts!

I noticed, sadly, that the gold from the front of this ring has worn off, which goes to show how often I use it.

Going to see some form of musical theatre six times in one month is really not bad at all! I really managed to start the year the way I meant to go on judging by how things went until that point. However, since this was an event of many musicals at once, it was harder to pick an outfit. I settled on something vaguely 50’s inspired, which ended up still vibing with Valentine’s Day, but that’s ok since it was also a date night. We got amazing seats for National Lottery’s Big Night of Musicals, which was then shown on BBC One, though we didn’t make the final cut of the televised show. But being able to see it live, as well as be told by three separate people that we were the best dressed couple on the night - priceless!

*~*~*~*

Coord 12: Simple Black and Ivory

| AatP Sugar Plum Fairy Princess JSK | Innocent World Tulle Lace Millefeuille bolero | Violet Fane Antiquite tights | offbrand shoes and hair tie | Promised Land Creations earrings and necklace |

The Glossier lipsticks I bought in London are so great for those bare face pictures where I just want a bit of colour on my lips, I am so tempted to get more.

Proof that I was, in fact, wearing a hair accessory.

This coord was supposed to be worn so much sooner, but first I needed to change plans and then life had other ideas. I’m still pleased that I managed to wear it before January actually ended for working from home once that had calmed down a bit. It surprised me to see that I hadn’t tried to wear this dress with a simple ivory base and I like the elegant, toned down look that it created.

*~*~*~*


Although once again travelling is skewing things slightly, January really does seem like it’s been a busy and packed month. Which I guess is pretty accurate, that is how it felt. But it’s prime time to move over and make some room for lovecore in February. Because whilst my view on Valentine’s Day has not changed, I feel much better able to balance having those views with enjoying the aesthetic, the colour scheme, the hearts etc. And I look forward to channelling that through my outfits this month.

2 comments:

  1. That Innocent World White skirt is just the best.

    Also - loving the uber-tartan outfit!

    And six musicals in one month is absolutely insanity, in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This Innocent World white skirt works so hard in my wardrobe, but doesn't always get the recognition for it.

      I am still looking for a tartan blouse and maybe shoes too, so that I can be the ultimate tartan person around!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.