Le Petit Four review

10:00:00

Last year, spurred on by the prospect of a no-deal Brexit, I decided to treat myself to a few bits from the indie brands based in Europe while I could. I’ve actually been eyeing accessories from Le Petit Four for a while now. Every one of the events that I’ve been to over the last two years or so Le Petit Four has always donated generously to the raffle etc., although I don’t recall them ever vending at any of them. It was finally time to give in to that temptation and treat myself.


About the Shop

Le Petit Four is based in Berlin and their main shop is located on Etsy. They make a range of accessories, predominantly for classic and gothic lolita, with the occasional sweeter pieces. Based on their Instagram, it seems that they also occasionally make pieces to order, so while I don’t have experience with that, it is worth contacting them if you have something specific in mind. But before that I do suggest checking what’s in store, as their range is quite fantastic.

Order Process

Like anything with Etsy, the process is straightforward. One of the items I ordered was marked as being made to order, so while I placed my order on November 27th 2020, it wasn’t posted until December 4th. Considering that the item had to be made, I still consider that to be quite quick. It was inevitable that my order would get mixed up with the Christmas post, but it arrived in a timely manner considering the postal delays, as I received it on December 17th. Usually post from Germany to the UK arrives within about a week for small parcels like this, so thirteen days during a busy time for the post is very good indeed.

What I Got

My order arrived in a small box, roughly the same size as one of those you get for Graze snack boxes. It would fit perfectly inside the letterbox, however, as it was an international delivery, I had to collect it in person (in lieu of a signature because, you know, pandemic). Inside my order was protected by bubble wrap and each item was individually wrapped with cardboard backings for extra security.

A very convenient tip on the actual box size.

Very securely wrapped and fitting perfectly inside that box.

Everything I received and how I received it.

The first thing I noticed was the surprise extras. The bookmark will definitely come in useful, there is no such thing as too many bookmarks. The ring, on the other hand, was very much unexpected. I’m not sure whether it is especially made to give out with orders or maybe a way for the designer to do something with the test and experimental pieces that don’t make it to the shop. It’s really pretty, even if not something that I’d pick myself due to the more yellow-tone of the overall design. However, I’m sure I’ll find use for it.

I would be very happy if more indie brands made bookmarks to give as freebies.

The Warrior Sacred Heart necklace is the one that was made to order and that I had to wait a little bit for. Although it comes also in another related, but slightly different model called The Princess, I decided to go for The Warrior as I’m lacking in black jewellery. And this is vibing very hard with me right now with its medieval knight nods. It’s also incredibly elegant, which given that all my attempts at goth end up being rather classic is the right match for my style. I adore how despite not using much in terms of glitter or sparkles, it still reflects light beautifully and appears to be twinkling depending on how the light catches it. The mixed metals, gold, silver and bronze, are not for those who dislike the look - for me it adds an extra layer of depth and might make it easier to match with the other accessories I’d choose to wear with it. At €35 it is really excellent value for money, a stunning centrepiece (quite literally as the necklace is just about long enough to sit around my chest) and very high quality. And the postcard that it was wrapped around for safety is blank, so I could either frame it or send it to someone with a nice message.

I believe the whole sacred hearts trend may be over, but I'm happy to see someone still offer those accessories within a much more affordable budget.

Every element of this necklace is brimming with textural details, I love every single one.

The pearls and those beads add a very subtle sparkle.

A simple clasp, though large enough to easily do it up, which I appreciate a lot.

The postcard that came with the necklace is really pretty, I think I may be on a minor pansy wave right now.

The other item I purchased, the Emerald Palace ring, was bought with L’Esprit de la Noblesse’s La Bibliotheque in mind. And indeed it is a perfect match, albeit one that will have to wait until another time I wear this dress. The card that the ring was secured with is actually Le Petit Four’s business card with all of their social media links. The ring is pretty big, which will be great for keeping it visible in outfit photos and flatlays, and thanks to being on the flatter side - just about right for storing with my other rings. The design is so reminiscent of interior decor from Rococo France, I can’t look at those cherubs framing the gold filigree without thinking of ceilings and mantelpieces in palaces from that era. The ring itself is adjustable and it’s all held together with resin, which not only makes for a secure finish, but a shiny and smooth one too. I am quite enamoured with that glossy shine and even though no-one will ever see it, the sensation against my skin is nice enough.

Dare I call this the ring of my dreams? It may be bold, but it really isn't that far from the truth...

Hopefully you can see the shine of the resin.

You can find Le Petit Four on Facebook, Instagram, Storenvy and Dawanda as well as Etsy.

Truth be told, I could easily spend brand level money on accessories from Le Petit Four, particularly after buying these two pieces. The standard of craftsmanship is superb and each design is breathtaking. Most of what is in the shop is at the very least in that similar opulent Rococo style, with some items leaning more sweet (e.g. I spotted some bunny brooches at one point) and some more gothic (crosses and black colourways), although Le Petit Four is best suited to classic and hime styles. What I particularly adore is that each accessory is a work of art on its own, so you could wear it as your statement pieces (like the necklace above), but there are also plenty that simply match the level of detail of lolita dresses and wouldn’t clash with other accessories you choose (like the ring). I do sincerely hope that I will be able to purchase more from them - the shop being on Etsy, which as a platform has the capacity to make the necessary adjustments for indie brands, gives me hope, but if not, I will simply have to make sure that I will attend events where they are vending in the future. And then drop a satchel of gold and have my pick.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.