Disneybounding Coord 2

The first Disneybounding post was about an outfit that was pretty much all there already, just needed putting together. Every other idea that I have requires various sorts and levels of crafting, so I should get my arse into gear more. And thankfully doing these posts helps me do precisely that, starting with this look.

The Character

It feels odd to say that out of the three o.g. Disney princesses (Snow White, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty) Aurora is my favourite. Why? Because while I know the stories, I haven’t actually watched Cinderella or Snow White. Not the Disney animated ones at least. Yeah, I know, don’t at me. Sleeping Beauty, on the other hand, I’ve seen multiple times in my life, I had that on a well-loved VHS. It’s actually been a long, long time since I’ve seen it last, so maybe it’s time for a refresh? See how the film stands up to nostalgia and a much more grown up me.

Because yes, I’m also very aware of how Sleeping Beauty is problematic in 2021 given that she hardly has any spoken lines at all and pretty literally could’ve been replaced with a lamp without the film losing much. It’s a sad state of affairs, a glimpse into societal perception of women as incredibly passive, both as far as the XVIIth century Charles Perrault fairy tale and the 1959 Disney animated classic versions go. Snow White and Cinderella both have loads of remakes and empowering updates in the various retellings, whereas Sleeping Beauty gets left behind. The closest we’ve had to that was in Maleficent (the first one, I haven’t seen the second one so I can’t comment), and even then it’s not much since she’s a side character and her existence is framed in the context of Maleficent’s character development rather than her own.

Nonetheless, as far as the o.g. princesses go, she is my favourite, even if only by virtue of pretty aesthetics and being the only one I have actual childhood memories of. It would be a shame to not do at least one proper princess Disneybounding coord, so here it is.


The Outfit

| Lady Sloth Look at My Dreamy Sky OP | Sosic Shop shoes | Tutuanna socks | handmade hair clip and bracelets | Gravelvet choker | Madillustration brooch |

I know, starting off controversial with the choice of blue rather than pink. Well, Disney gave me the option to choose and since I’m fairly sure the official merch has Aurora in pink only because they’ve put Cinderella in blue instead of her original white, I’m going to pick the blue. Especially since I’m coming at this from a practical angle too: this is for a trip away, not for being at home. Which means I’ll have to pack and won’t be able to take everything. Reusing pieces I already plan on taking will be a great way to save some suitcase space (necessary to stuff it with souvenirs and other shopping later), as well as a fun way of squeezing as much versatility out of what I bring with me as possible. And with its cloud print, this dress does remind me of that final scene of the film where Aurora and Philip dance into the skies and credits.

I finished this off literally on the same day as I took the photos, including sewing on the actual clips to the back. So she is fully sunctional.

Remember back in like 2017 when sleepy-kei was all the rage and eye mask canotiers and pillow tote bags were everywhere? Hi, this is me, boarding that train four years late. Truth be told, I’ve wanted to do some sort of sleepy-kei look back then too, just not enough to make it actually happen. But now that I made the eye mask, there’s nothing stopping me from doing a fancier version of sleepy-kei lolita in the future. I actually bought two satin pillows, with the intention of turning one into a tote bag, but I may need to hold off on that idea. So for now I have this hair clip, entirely hand sewn and embroidered by yours truly over the course of two uninteresting meetings and about two episodes of various shows.

This is one of my favourite brooches and I'm so glad that I got it when I had the chance.

To go with the eye mask - the sassiest pillow brooch ever. It wouldn’t be sleepy-kei without it and hopefully it makes up for the lack of a pillow tote bag. As much as I’d love to include more sleep-related accessories, this is where I’m drawing the line. Partly because I’m not sure how much use I’d have for more, and partly because I ran out of ideas. If it’s something that I could possibly make, then I’d happily do so though.

A bit of white to break up all the blues.

And the bit that I forgot in the previous coord.

The other accessories are mostly space fillers. This time I did remember the bracelets, which would also work with the previous coord. And the choker is here to bring a bit more balance for the white bits. For a moment, when deciding on what necklace to go with, I thought that there were some rose motifs in Sleeping Beauty, but I think I may have gotten that confused with another film. Though if you want to be very pedantic, then Aurora grew up as Briar Rose, so I guess this could be a nod to that and make me appear more clever than I actually was at the time of putting the look together.

At least they are cute enough for a princess.

The other socks would also work, but I wanted to change things up a little.

Just like the previous outfit, I’m relying on the same pair of shoes and some ankle socks. And just like the previous one, should it turn out to be too cold to warrant such light layers, this would be easily remedied by adding a bolero/blouse and swapping the ankle socks for tights. Although now that I think about it - white lace tights would’ve been a more comfortable choice, but I do have these Baroque Secret Garden tights that kind of look like flowers growing on the walls of a castle that would’ve been so much more aesthetic. I’ll have to ponder that further, since an extra pair of tights isn’t going to take up all of my suitcase space.

The Park

Of course, a classic Disney princess can only go to one place: Magic Kingdom. It’s the one with an actual castle (even if it is Cinderella’s rather than Sleeping Beauty’s) and plenty of princessy things around. Whilst it seems that Aurora herself is based in Epcot rather than Magic Kingdom, I have other plans for Epcot and would rather have a princessy day at the most princessy of the parks.

I mean, you gotta take the princess to at least a castle, right?
Photo by Wally Gobetz.

Moreover, since the outfit itself is a touch more done-up, picking a more chill park to wear it to makes perfect sense. Whilst there are some rides that I’d probably queue up for, Magic Kingdom is more about somewhere to be and vibe with that Disney spirit, indulge in being stupidly aesthetic and just have a good day. So it doesn’t matter if I have practical shoes or a practical bag, this could be my chill day to just be pretty around the park.

Summary

The things to remember are:

  • Aurora coord to wear around Magic Kingdom
  • Use the same warm layers as the Pegasus coord, possibly the same change of shoes too if necessary.
  • Think about what hairstyle to go with this hair accessory, a dry run may be necessary.
  • Are there any other sleepy-kei-appropriate accessories that I could add (and ideally make)?


2 comments:

  1. Cute! I love how this is so similar yet so different to the Pegasus coord, and your eye-mask hairclip is super cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's hard to make an OP look vastly different, things would've at least seemed a bit more varied had this been a JSK spiced up with different blouses. And I imagine overall styling will also help, since I feel like for Pegasus I might wear my hair in a ponytail (pun not intended, but appreciated nonetheless), whereas for this I'd most likely wear it down.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.