Create a Coord Based on Your Favourite Sailor Moon Character

10:00:00

When this Lolita Blog Carnival prompt was chosen for this week, I got very excited. However, quickly I realised that this will be much more challenging than I had originally anticipated.



Image from Ideas.Wikia.com
As far as character inspired coords are concerned, my dilemma is always the same. I can either try to do it based on a character I like and usually my wardrobe lacks the pieces for – or I can pick a character I care less for that I definitely could base a coordinate on. My favourite Sailor Senshi were always Sailor Mars and Sailor Jupiter. It’s also been a while since I watched it last and it was rare that they showed the Sailor Senshi not in their Sailor gear or school uniform (Rei was sometimes wearing her miko clothing), so I can’t necessarily emulate their personal style either. I could try theming it around their planet powers, so fire and thunder, but despite me liking red, I don’t think I could pull off a coord with such a specific theme.


And then I remembered that Makoto Kino really likes roses and wears rose earrings. And that was something that I could work with without sacrificing on my liking the character – however tentative it may have been!



| Innocent World White W Blade skirt | Innocent World lucky pack blouse | Sosic Shop heels |
offbrand socks and earrings | handmade brooch (not by me) |

The result is very, very tentatively lolita – although as Makoto was tall by Japanese standards, I feel like this may be the sort of style that she genuinely would at least try? She definitely would’ve been all over Innocent World’s longer length dresses and skirts. This one from Innocent World White actually resembles her school uniform skirt quite a bit, which is why I picked it.

Apologies for not ironing the blouse.

Although a sailor collar blouse would’ve been better, in the absence of one in my wardrobe I went with this one from Innocent World’s lucky pack. Given that Sailor Moon first aired in the early 90’s and high collar blouses were quite popular in the 80’s, it felt like something that a girl like Makoto might wear. While the long sleeves might actually end up a tad short on her in real life, she does like feminine clothing.

The round toe on these shoes looks pretty close to what was worn in the 90's.

Even the socks seem to have a very slight floral pattern.

The shoes and socks are there for colour balance reasons. They keep this outfit a little bit closer to lolita, even if it’s still really tentative. Although Makoto is shown to wear low heels on a day to day basis, I think this may have been more to do with her being a young teen and the style of the time rather than not wanting to stick out more. I think she’d at least try those ones.

I deliberately didn’t pick a hair accessory. I don’t have a green scrunchie, so can’t emulate Makoto’s hairstyle, and didn’t feel like sticking a green headbow just for the sake of adding that bit of green. And I don’t think that she would be big on wearing hair accessories just because it’s the ‘lolita rules’ – her style, from what I remember and refreshed, was quite minimalist, so I made the executive decision.

The earrings look pretty big when worn, similar to Makoto's.

However, since this whole outfit started out because of the rose earrings, I couldn’t not include those. Yes, I know that Makoto’s were originally pink – red is all that I had. I’ve actually had these for forever, it was a present from my Grandma, and I definitely don’t wear these enough, so they deserve an outing.

That brooch is so lovely, just enough to add a little feminine touch to the outfit.

Lastly, to spruce it up just a touch, I added this rose brooch. Since I already said that Makoto’s style is pretty simple, I didn’t want to overpower the outfit with accessories. However, this brooch is big enough to carry (well, create) a theme, yet still small enough to be subtle in the whole outfit.

Given that this is a massive, massive compromise between my wardrobe/style and favourite characters, it’s not the worst attempt, don’t you think? Once my green After Midnight JSK arrives, I’ll be able to do a better one. And maybe I should get a white sailor collar blouse after all...

Who was your favourite Sailor Moon character? Have you ever tried putting together a coordinate based on them? These other bloggers have, check them out! I wonder if between us we’ll have all five of the Sailor Senshi…



2 comments:

  1. I love this! I can totally see her wearing this, it's girly but simple (and yes, I love how it does resemble her school uniform).

    Sailor Jupiter is probably my second favourite, so I'm really excited that you did a coordinate based on her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once my collection of reds increases, I will try to do something for Sailor Mars too, I feel bad now that she's all left out :P

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.