Fancy at Bettys

10:00:00

Another weekend, another meetup. Or, well, it started out as a meetup, but gradually people dropped out until it was just two of us, which makes it more of a catchup. So I guess: another weekend, another chance to wear lolita!

| Mary Magdalene Paulina JSK | Angelic Pretty Romantic Bright blouse | Red Maria tights | Cutie Creator headbow |
replica heels | Axes Femme cameo | offbrand bracelets |

Also, these are my own lashes. No mascara, no filters, no editing, no falsies, just a bit of tightlining. I had an LVL lash lift
done and am obsessed with how good it looks!

For such a long time I was #teamnaked for this. Nothing really inspired me and I started having too many criteria. I wanted something that could be warm, that would be comfortable, but still fancy, and ideally something I’ve not worn in a while. This was a very last minute effort, which started from the thought of “What’s fancier than my dream dress?”. Truth be told, while I like the outfit (even after I changed shoes after the photos to more comfortable ones), I do wish that I had gone with my clip-on fringe or just did something different to my hair. It wasn’t the best hair day and I feel like a different style would’ve pulled this look a little bit more together. Instead, I prioritised sleep and comfort. On the bright side, because I kept everything so simple, I had plenty of time to take a gazillion photographs before leaving the house, so I could just enjoy myself out in York.

The rosti with some caramelised onion chutney. Very nice and good for cold weather!

Winter berry cheesecake - very creamy, solid 10/10.

And a Swiss chocolate torte. Can't go wrong with a chocolate and hazelnut torte. 11/10!

I hadn’t gone to Bettys since January last year and really needed my posh tea room fix. However, instead of going for afternoon tea (this would’ve been the third time I had the winter variety, I never had their summer one), I opted for individual items. While I got the regular bacon and cheese rosti, my friend opted for the Christmas special one which had bacon, chicken and cranberry. And then, since I couldn’t decide which dessert I liked the sound of more, I went for both – no regrets, they were both delicious, if very different.

This was also my first time going to Little Bettys on Stonegate as opposed to the flagship one. They are literally a stone’s throw away from each other, but if it means less queuing, then I’m totally up for it. To get into Big Bettys at lunchtime you’re looking at a solid hour of queuing in whatever weather graces York that day (and in November you shouldn’t expect much). While we still queued to get seated at Little Bettys, it was inside and there were only three groups in front of us, so it didn’t take much. Yes, the savoury menu is much smaller there compared to the flagship, but as far as I could tell all the cakes and patisserie were still the same, so you’re not missing out on much. If you want the posh experience sooner, go to this one.

It was so nice to just sit back, relax and chat. The girl who did come is a friend and we’ll be sharing a room next month for the winter ILD I’m organising, since we’re both out of town (cheaper, more convenient and less hassle than trying to do day trips). She even gave me some good ideas on what else to incorporate, which I’m going to get onto next week.

This year's Christmas display at Bettys is a train delivering all the sweet goodies. This is all cake and fondant!

A different sweet shop on Stonegate. Their window made me feel like a 5-year-old and I love it!
 
Afterwards we went shopping to the typical spots around York: Imaginarium, Yorkshire Soap Co., Lush, a couple of other places. Nothing too exciting, although we did stumble upon a very small Christmas craft fair (which was more indie vendors with some handmade items and very tiny indeed). Although it’s too early to switch on the city’s Christmas lights on yet, many places are already decked in their best Christmas decorations, which is making me super happy. It is the best time of the year! Though I guess that I better get on with my EGL Secret Santa shopping – eek!


4 comments:

  1. I think this is one of my favourite outfits of yours, there's just something about it that really suits you. It's nice that you had a good catchup (and OMG all the Christmas decorations are so cute!) even if it was just the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Thank you so much! It's reassuring to hear that, especially when I personally had some doubts <3
      Sometimes it's much easier when it's just two people - you don't feel guilty that you spent all your time talking to one person over another. :)
      And yes, all the Christmas decorations and displays are giving me life! I would SO love to go back after York has had its Christmas lights switched on, but I'm not sure if I'll manage to fit that in.

      Delete
  2. I really love the elegance and simplicity of this dress on you. So lovely! <3

    That food looks really good! I love afternoon tea but it's good to mix things up a bit. That winter berry cheesecake is making my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I definitely feel that with Mary Magdalene designs it's best to leave the dresses to speak for themselves.

      And I know exactly what you mean! Sometimes this feels like the downside of living in the UK - as the home country of afternoon tea, very few places dare to experiment with the formula and try something different or new. So when a place offers savouries and sweets separately, it means you can visit it more often without feeling like you're missing out on the fancy tea experience.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.