Easter Coord

10:00:00

For as long as this blog has been active (which coincides with my own being the most active in lolita fashion) I have worn something frilly for Easter. Even when I wasn't at home to celebrate Easter with my family. This year lockdown means that I can't be home for this (and if there was no COVID-19, I would've been in Moscow at the Gothic Lolita Festival anyway), but I can still wear frills.

| Innocent World Georges Rose JSK | BtSSB Chiffon Princess blouse | AatP Lace-Up Ribbon OTKs | offbrand shoes | Angelic Pretty Classical Petit Rose headbow | Cutie Creator wrist cuffs | vintage gloves | offbrand earrings | brooches from Axes Femme, Violet Fane, Fluffy Tori and offbrand | hobbit door necklace |

I tried a new eyeshadow look, which I really liked, I'll try to do it more often.

Classic lolita and a brooch overload go together hand in hand, if you ask me.

To channel some of that spring that has finally started coming our way, I wanted to wear Innocent World's Georges Rose JSK. Whilst ironing it I was able to really appreciate that floral pattern again and wanted to wear something that would really compliment it. Coordinating this dress with greens was something I've wanted to do for a while and although it's not necessarily what I initially had in mind, it's what I could do at the moment and still thoroughly liked the result. If I were religious, this would totally be my church outfit and I'm loving my 50's model housewife goes to mass vibe that this coord has, particularly thanks to the gloves. I'm once again obsessed with vintage gloves (let me out again, world, I want to go to vintage fairs and get more gloves!) and in the future I'd love to wear this with a classy hat to hone in on that vibe.

As I already hinted, this wasn't my first Easter away from home. There were some when I travelled, as well as two whole Easters in Japan, where it's not celebrated at all. Without my Moscow trip I thought that I would've gone home, but in the spirit of looking at the bright side of life, not being able to do that was an opportunity to start something new. My family isn't religious, but since Poland is a Catholic country, Easter is an important holiday and part of our culture. This means that while my family doesn't necessarily have any special traditions, we always do something and eat certain things. Now that I've moved out of my parents' place, this was my chance to forge some new Easter traditions, ones that are my own and that I can carry forward through my adult life. And that was quite an exciting thing, really.

My planning new traditions started out with food. It kind of had to, every important holiday is focused on food. Particularly during lockdown, where doing as few grocery shopping trips as possible is the preferred modus operandi, I had to plan it as much in advance as possible. For such an important holiday, even when I googled traditional Polish recipes for Easter, there was way too much variety. I thought it was just my non-religious family taking some liberties, but truth is, it really is all about just a couple of things. So I decided to keep my Easter breakfast more Polish and then do something more English for dinner, opting for a roast. Had I been hosting, this probably would be a proper roast, but I'm on my own, so it was just one chicken thigh. Yet between that, simple breakfast things (ham, cheese, eggs) upgraded with a savoury scone, and some sweets, that felt festive enough. It's probably more to do with my having to put more effort into presenting it nicely and making it feel festive, but it still counts.

My modest (though still pretty plentiful) breakfast for one. I did not actually end up eating all of that, once I had one scone, it filled me up too much. Though I can confirm that plain scones do go nicely with cream cheese.

My rustic roast dinner. I need to do more roasts, roasted things are tasty!

I talked to my parents on Skype, which gave a bit of an illusion of us sharing that breakfast together. Although by the time I sat down to eat and call them, they were just finishing theirs. It was still nice though to keep this up, talk to them and enjoy a family moment.

The second part of my newly forged Easter traditions was to spend the day as Internet-less as possible. I figured that without this that day would've been the same as pretty much every other day spent at home, and I really wanted Easter to feel special. With other people around, I probably would've turned this into board games day, had we not been in lockdown (and if the weather was a bit warmer), I may have gone for a walk. As it was, I ended up spending the day in a pretty lifestyle lolita way: dressed in a lovely outfit, making a homely meal and watching the 1980's TV version of Anne of Green Gables (the only one that matters, if you ask me). One day I probably will give Anne with an E a go, though revisiting a classic that I grew up watching on television (including a Polish voiceover, since that's the version I had downloaded years back) was not only nostalgic, but reminded me why it was such a great film. In the same spirit that many Studio Ghibli films have, Anne of Green Gables really taps in to the nostalgia factor that makes us yearn for simpler times. There is no unnecessary drama, no additional thriller plots or deeper meaning, which every film or TV show these days seems to have. Kind of like what made Gilmore Girls appealing then, but why it wouldn't become as popular now, it's all a bit too cutesy and sweet to be completely realistic (in Anne of Green Gables we sort of accept that because of the historical setting and because it's aimed at a younger audience), none of the truly horrible and cruel things about the real world make it on screen and if they do, they are either downplayed or quickly softened with something appropriately cuddly and sweet and charming. I hope you get what I mean. Needless to say, I have enjoyed shedding tonnes of emotional tears and getting overwhelmed with that nostalgia, even if at times it made me feel quite sad over the things that will no longer be.

Such an iconic moment in film (or more like what followed). Photo taken from a ScreenRant article, I do not own.

For a first Easter that was completely my own, this was an absolutely lovely one. It was modest because it sort of had to be, but actually ended up being precisely what I needed. There are things that I would like to do differently or better next time – hey, no tradition was born overnight – and I'm sure that I'll get to do that next year. Unless I end up catching up on all those missed travels, of course! But if I'm in, I'd love to actually host Easter for my family. By that point I will be living with my boyfriend, so he will inevitably get dragged into this and with his family, if accept the invitation.

Now, I was going to take this opportunity to add a quick outfit roundup to the end of this post. However, lockdown proves to be fruitful not only in outfits, but with things to blog about (it's actually mad!). Even just the outfits I wore since the previous outfit roundup post would make this too long, so I won't. Instead, I'll write about all of the coords I wore at the end of the month in its own dedicated post. For as long as my streak of wearing lolita often continues, this will be more sustainable than doing more frequent posts. Otherwise I'd have to up the number of blog posts per week to get through everything and that's way too much work.

Hope that all of you who celebrate had a lovely Easter and those who don't – that you had a lovely weekend!


6 comments:

  1. Making your own traditions is really important, and your Easter one sounds lovely! You remind me a little of the Queen (when she was younger, of course) in that outfit, not quite sure what it is.

    Being all opinionated for a moment - Anne with an E did not do it for me at all. It was too dramatic, and didn't have any of the warm homeliness that the books did. I got a few episodes in and had to give up, it was not the Anne of Green Gables I knew and loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably the gloves. The Queen always wears gloves - and now that I look at the photo, she also holds her hands together like this a lot. I guess I'm channelling royalty even when I don't mean to :P

      Your comments echo what my Mum said (who tried giving Anne with an E a go). In her words, the show was overcomplicated and added so many plotlines that weren't in the books that it stopped being Anne of Green Gables. We've both loved the books (though I admit that I stopped after three, I didn't want to keep reading until I found myself no longer enjoying the dragged out story) and really enjoyed the 80's version. This is also what people have said when Gilmore Girls were added to Netflix. From the 80's until the very early 00's family films and shows were either about adventure or about that sense of homeliness and family love, the ones that made you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. And these days, for whatever reason, things like this are either not made at all or are aimed at the very young children (and then we get phenomena like Bronies), or there are attempts that flop. It's ok to not pack your family entertainment with unnecessary drama and to make things just to make people feel warm and fuzzy inside. Isn't that what Animal Crossing is doing right now? And look at the popularity of that!

      Delete
  2. First of all, loving the pikachu plate. Second, I never read or watched Anne of Green Gables, it simply wasn't an early 2000's thing I suppose, but about a year ago, I did Anne of Green Gables as a play, wherein I played Anne. Ive since grown to love the story because of the people who did grow up with it, and who really hold the story of Anne in their hearts. Reading your nostalgia brought that back for me, so I wanted to mention that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting how both cultural and time-bound Anne of Green Gables is. I'm pretty sure this is still a book that kids in Poland have to read in school (at least parts of it - it certainly was when I was still in school), yet it's almost completely ignored in other parts of the world. A play version of it could've been really great. I remember seeing a play version of Mark Twain's The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, which translated brilliantly onto the stage, and Anne of Green Gables has such a similar vibe (even though Tom Sawyer was considerably earlier and they're both very heavily gendered in their target audience). You should read it one day, now that you're familiar with the plot thanks to the play. It is a pretty common inspiration in lolita fashion too (particularly for classic and country looks), so while I can't comment on Netflix's Anne with an E, the 80's Anne of Green Gables costumes really hold the test of time well, they struck the right balance between being period-appropriate and simply cute in that rustic way that prairie fashion popularised in the 1970's.
      And yes! I don't use my Pikachu plate often, because it seems too cute and precious (and oddly shaped) for just regular meals, but if I get a chance to plate some foods for sharing or display, it's perfect for that!

      Delete
  3. You looked absolutely fantastic!
    To be honest, we didn't do anything speecial for Easter (although I should have prepared torrijas, a spanish recipe that it's delicious), so maybe I'll do it as a late Easter treat this weekend.
    Looking at your polish breakfast makes me nostalgic about all the good food I've eat there, maybe tomorrow I'll imitate this delicious treat you had!
    Take care, my dear <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well dammit, I googled what torrijas were and now I want one! They had me at 'toast' and pierced my heart with cupid's arrow at 'cinnamon'. This is dreams are made of - I'll look into the recipe and see if I could try making one too!
      The good thing about Polish breakfast is that it's easy to imitate, especially if you are in places like Holland. You already have nice cheese and probably will be able to find some nice ham and bread. Add butter and an egg, maybe some veggies for extra fancy points, and voila!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.