May Coords Roundup

10:00:00

Yes, May finally brought some warm weather! We’ve all been waiting so long for this that I am willing to glance over every single day that’s been a bit meh or even downright chilly. Though looking at these outfits, you’d think that it’s been quite warm all throughout the month… The deceptions that are possible when working from home and staying indoors.


*~*~*~*

Coord 1: Ginza Kissaten

| Violet Fane Ginza Kissaten skirt | DreamV cutsew | Innocent World Fleurs Checkered OTKs | Elf Armorie Cupid’s Heart shoes | Cutie Creator headdress | offbrand necklace | Milkribbon Butterkeks brooch | Twinkle Kitty Boutique ring | Risu Rose ring | Bow and Crossbones bangle |

One day I will work out how to do that Farrah Fawcett hairstyle.

Patiently figuring out what to order from this cafe's vast menu.

The first outing for this skirt was a more casual affair for a WFH Friday. I tried to play up a bit to the warm colour scheme and give a slight nod to the 70’s vibes with my styling. It felt pretty outside my usual things to go with this much brown and yellow-based ivory, nonetheless I enjoyed the look. It was comfortable to work in and gave me hope that despite this print being much warmer tones than most of my wardrobe, it will find its place within it.

*~*~*~*

Coord 2: Lads Reunited

| Fanplusfriend Alice Knight shorts | Laura Ashley blouse | Annzley corset | Angelic Pretty Colorful Polkadot OTKs | Elf Armorie Cupid’s Heart shoes | offbrand beret, earrings and brooch | necktie from Haenuli x I Do Declare blouse | Twinkle Kitty Boutique ring |

Once again, this wig was out there confusing people into thinking that I'd cut my hair. Do not underestimate the wigs in your local haircare shop.

Tying this into a somewhat pleasing shape was harder than it should have been.

Paul has emerged once again and gathered up all his lad friends for some reunion drinks. There were some internal debates as to what to wear before settling on this slightly bonkers look. Somehow the combination of so many dots and the white, red, and black colour scheme makes me think of pierrot clowns? Either way, this was comfy, survived an entire day of trains, drinks, fried chicken, and bantz. Dry Dock did not fail to disappoint as a venue in that we were well served, comfortable, and unbothered by others (except for one person who asked what was the theme and ended up being told that they should step up their game and dress more fancy themselves). And whilst getting fried chicken later, someone who clearly knew about lolita and J-fashion found us, ended up joining for a bit at our table, and then getting semi-recruited (i.e. told to find us on Facebook) so that we could properly help them get into the fashion if that’s what they want. I do hope that they’ll do it, they’d look super cute in lolita and seemed really sweet.

*~*~*~*

Coord 3: Tartan x Black

| HeartE Tartan JSK | Lady Sloth crop top and brooch | Innocent World Cross Lace Millefeuille bolero | offbrand socks | Alf Armorie Cupid’s Heart shoes | Two Days Slow hair clips |

Feeling cute, working at home, just the usual stuff.

This puts me at only two types of lace that I don't yet have from IW's Millefuille boleros.

This coord ended up doing so much, including being May’s No Buy Support Challenge one, so check out the post on that one here.

*~*~*~*

Coord 4: RHS Bridgewater

| Innocent World Revival Sweets Teddybear JSK | Axes Femme cutsew | offbrand cardigan | Innocent World Rose and Diamond OTKs | Bodyline shoes | Pink Up Fanny’s Dressing Table hair clip | offbrand earrings | Enchantlic Enchantilly necklace | Tea and Paintwater brooch | Peppermint Fox brooch | Jule et Lily pin | handmade bracelets |

Definitely underestimated the weather that day and this stayed under a jacket most of the day.

For how often I end up wearing this necklace, I don't think it gets the love it deserves.

I had Friday the 13th booked off work and decided to do some exploring in my local(ish) area. This ended up being a trip to RHS Bridgewater gardens, where I enjoyed all the spring flowers and other greenery that the place had to offer (and was one of the very few who was neither a pensioner, a child on a school trip or a parent with a young child). Of course, this required dressing up and since one cannot go wrong with some sax and pink, that’s what I ended up wearing. As much as I would’ve preferred different shoes with this, I needed to prioritise comfort given that I was walking a lot, so these were the best matching ones. It’s very good that RHS Bridgewater offers combined entry and return bus tickets, I will definitely make use of that again in the future, I’d love to explore more once some of the under construction sections are complete, as well as during different seasons. This outing was also one that I vlogged a little, so if you want to see what the gardens look like, you need not go any further than here.

*~*~*~*

Coord 5: Afternoon Tea at Richmond Tea Rooms

| Metamorphose Shirring Tiered Ribbon JSK | British Retro Louis Louis dress | replica socks | Sosic Shop shoes | hat upcycled by me | offbrand earrings and almost all flower clips | Tiny Passerine Creations necklace and ring | Dentelles brooch | Angelic Pretty Logo Ribbon Charm wrist cuffs | handmade bracelets | After Midnight sakura clips |

I swear to God, between the hat pin, regular hair pins and U-pins this hat still did not feel too secure, it is a miracle that the wind hasn't blown it off my head even once.

Hiding the button holes with flower clips.

Let’s not play around with modesty, this outfit fucking slaps! It started out with just an idea, a little ‘can I wear this completely non-lolita dress with this JSK’ experiment. Which then morphed into adding the accessories that I felt ticked that cottagecore vibe. And then once the hair and makeup were all in place it was all like *chef’s kiss*. I love how this looked, I love how the photos came together, I love how this felt to wear - it was exactly like I envisioned it and then some. Really, really pleased with this. The afternoon tea was also gorgeous, I expected nothing less from Richmond Tea Rooms, they really delivered on all fronts. Afterwards we went for a brief stroll around town, aiming to get to the Manchester Cathedral for some pictures, but when the rest of the group headed for a bar which was also planned, I ducked out, correctly judging that my energy levels were dropping and I needed to get home and be a granny. Though the good thing about this coord was that after all this I could take everything off but the British Retro dress and still have a cute yet comfortable outfit to lounge in.

Obligatory tea spread picture.

I love it when staff bring you teapots and/or teacups that match your outfit.

*~*~*~*

Coord 6: Sunday Shopping

| Chrysanthemum’s Concerto Lost in the Garden of Eden JSK | Primark blouse and shoes | Mademoiselle Boutique necklace |

Is this even a coord? Probably not, it leans so far into casual frills that more of it is on the side outside of the lolita fashion boundary. But heck it, it’s my blog and this dress is very cute (even a McDonald’s employee noticed and complimented me on it). Plus, it’s fun to see how clothes designed for lolita can work in these extremely non-lolita looks, with just a pair of plimsoles and a blouse. Sadly, the charity shopping that I ventured out on turned out to be entirely fruitless, but at least I got groceries and McDonald’s, and when I got home I finished the scone from Richmond that I brought back the day before.

*~*~*~*

Coord 7: Another Super Casual Look

| Violet Fane Charming Town skirt | Axes Femme cutsew | offbrand socks | Elf Armorie Cupid’s Heart shoes |

As it says on the tin, another outfit that is so casual it probably doesn’t qualify as lolita anymore, but I’m including it here. Being able to acknowledge those ultra-casual coords and enjoy them for what they are, without feeling the pressure of turning out a look is very freeing and fun. This is exactly what I wanted when I did my 2022 goals and this was the one where I felt like I was achieving it. Also, that awkward moment when you are walking a student to an exam and they ask if your outfit is lolita-inspired - and you’re there, stuck between wanting to check if you should be recruiting and the mortification of not wanting to be perceived. True story.

*~*~*~*

Coord 8: Friday Librarian

| L’Esprit de la Noblesse La Bibliotheque JSK | BtSSB Chiffon Princess blouse | Innocent World Rose Lace Millefeuille bolero | Innocent World Short Boots OTKs | Hush Puppies boots | Fantastic Grim Jewelry necklace | Axes Femme brooch | Amadea Kingdom The Adventurer D20 brooch | Enchantlic Enchantilly Queen Cat Secret Library ring |

I thought about adding some sort of a hair accessory, but it would either squish or disappear behihnd this volume, so I let the hairstyle speak for itself.

ALL the books!

If you recognise this coord, then well done - with a few changes, this featured as a flatlay in the 1 Dress 4 Looks post for this JSK. Not only I had the energy to dress up since I was working from home, but I also had a bit of extra time since I was starting an hour later that day, yet decided to still wake up as I normally would have. It meant that I could do everything I do in the morning as well as get dressed, as well as take a few flatlay photos for this month’s 1 Dress 4 Looks post. Though not necessarily in that order.

*~*~*~*

Coord 9: Sunday Groceries

| Metamorphose Polka Dots tiered skirt | Axes Femme cutsew | Tutuanna socks | offbrand sneakers | handmade necklace and bracelets | Banned Retro Bella belt |

Whoa, selfies in a different room? Harder than I anticipated, somehow.

Still so pleased with these bracelets.

Aldi doesn’t necessarily need me at my finest, but since I needed to be clothed anyway to get my food, why not something cute. I was going to put some bow clips in my hair and then forgot. Though let’s face it, it’s not like it matters that much with casual frills.

*~*~*~*

Coord 10: Nautical Boi

| Fanplusfriend Alice Knight shorts | Fi.n.t. cutsew | Tutuanna socks | offbrand shoes and beret | Dear Celine badge |

One boi reporting for duty.

You know, all this time I was convinced that this was a bear brooch and only just now realised that this might be, in fact, an otter.

The evening before my Discord server had a meetup to discuss the plans for our summer trip. As one of the themes we are planning on doing during that is sailor/nautical/sea/marine/pirate/anything related, it got me in the mood. Hence kicking off the week with a casual nautical ouji. Not much else to it.

*~*~*~*

Coord 11: Fresh Cherry

| Bodyline L262 JSK | Magic Tea Party blouse | Angelic Pretty Cherry Stamp socks | Bodyline shoes | offbrand hair clips | handmade earrings and bracelets | Twinkle Kitty Boutique ring | Candy Kitsch ring |

Pretending like I wore all this with my work headphones.

I fully plan on making it to one of the next Makers' Markets where I got this ring from and hopefully buy more from that seller, they had so many cute things for very cheap!

Mint x red is an underrated colour combination, in my opinion. Something comfy for a work from home Friday, though I’d be lying if I claimed that it was warm enough to wear this. Or that everything in here stayed on me the entire time. But this is the internet, we can pretend.

*~*~*~*


As we’re going into June, I feel the need to tell myself that it is ok to slow down the frills. Not that I anticipate the weather to prevent them from happening, but the first half of the month may hand my arse back to me with work and energy will have to be spent elsewhere. Despite less rigorous tracking that I have over the last 2 or so years, I’ve still just about worn every item in my possession once already. That’s not a bad way to enter the half-year point. Although as my need for casual looks grows, I will either have to work harder on releasing myself from the pressure to *style* what I own or to invest in a couple more casual pieces. Stay tuned to find out which way this cookie will crumble!

4 comments:

  1. More 70s vibes in lolita please, it looks super cute!

    And yay for Paul! Paul is my favourite ouji, hands down.

    That Tartan x Black coord is also just super fabulous...I think I said that on the original post but if I didn't, well, I am now ^__^

    The coord with the vintage dress under the Meta JSK is brilliant! Not just looks great, but it's a really clever idea. And the selfie is gorgeous!

    And of course, you get a big yes from me for casual coords!

    Fresh Cherry, of course, is also a great look. Not that I'm biased towards cherries or you in sweet or anything like that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely more 70s vibes in lolita! I am working on that, 70s is still very new to me, but with time I've no doubts that it will be a more prominent kind of retro lolita in my arsenal.

      That vintage reproduction dress is so good. The longer it's with me, the more I have to resist the urge to get it in every single colourway available.

      And no, absolutely no bias towards cherries, I don't see any bias here.

      Delete
  2. I remember seeing that British Retro dress on their site and it reminded me so much of Btssb's Hawase Doll dress! I actually own Hawase Doll, and a button up blue jsk similar to yours, and now I'm curious if these two things together will look as good as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't know until you try! The worst thing that could happen is that they won't layer quite so well, but the prospect of them layering particularly well is a much bigger win, so go for it!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.