Disneybounding Coord 3

Ok, it’s prime time I switch up from using that same OP. Packing may be an important factor, but it’s not like I’d be going there with a mere handbag!

The Character

As far as favourite Disney films go, Mulan is very much up there with Hercules. (The animated one, I’ve not seen the live action one and don’t intend to.) I do remember seeing that at the cinema with my Mum and best friend, followed by a trip to McDonald’s to get Happy Meals with toys from the film. Followed by a fairly good stretch of owning various bits of merch, from the Mushu and Cri-Kee plushies, to Mulan doll (this one - oh, the nostalgia!), to clothing. I mean, she was kick-ass and to a 6-year-old girl that was important. However, not only I’m not completely comfortable Disneybounding Mulan herself, I don’t quite have the things to pull that off. But you know who else was super kick-ass in that film? The sassy dragon himself, Mushu!


The Outfit

| Metamorphose Gold Braid Tuck Pinafore JSK | Lady Sloth Glitter Mesh blouse | Angelic Pretty Lovely Ribbon OTKs | offbrand shoes | Angelic Pretty Twinkle Glitter Knit cardigan | traditional pang chang knot tassels | vintage brooch | bow brooch from Dear Celine’s Magic Book OP |

From the very first time I saw this dress I couldn’t not notice the faux button detailing at the bodice, which is a very typical knot fastening in traditional East Asian clothing. As such this dress was a perfect base for my Mushu Disneybound, though once again it was crucial that I don’t veer into cultural appropriation territory. If I had, please, don’t be afraid to point this out! All of the coords in this series are more on the work in progress side, with plenty of time and room to make adjustments.

One very breezy layer...

... and one not so breezy.

Between the blouse and the cardigan I really should be covered for most weather possibilities. Despite the long sleeves, the mesh fabric of the blouse is, as you can imagine, very breezy. And should it be quite nippy, the gold cardigan is warm enough, as well as layerable enough if it got really cold. Although I’d probably still take it off for photos because it covers up all of those knot button details.

Sometimes there really is no need to overcomplicate things.

I hadn’t given socks any more thought beyond “something with gold”. The lace-up design is neutral, so it would work with this and could potentially work with some of the other outfits that I’d bring, in case I needed a warmer option. Having said this, those socks are really thin, so they might not be that much of a warm option.

Gosh, those flats look quite beat up in comparison (though honestly not as beat up as they could considering how much wear I got out of them already!).

It may be odd to put out two options, particularly since so far in this series I’ve been conscious of remembering the practicalities of packing. This is merely because I don’t yet know how I feel and since I don’t have to make the choice just yet, seeing both options side by side helps. The Mary Jane flats admittedly go with the dress better, as well as are a little more comfortable. On the other hand, I’m hoping to finally break these Minnie Mouse sneakers in and as one of the very few actual Disney items I own they’d be fun to take in general. There is another possible coord that I have in mind with them. So I don’t know yet, this is something that would get decided once the need to pack finally comes. By all means let me know your opinions, if you feel strongly for or against either pair!

They're undisputably pretty, but could also be a bit of a problematic choice. What do you think?

Full honesty: this is the one bit that I’m very unsure of. Since this is a Disneybound coord for Mushu, I felt that tassels on double buns would be a really cute and practical look that still ties in to the character. But I am also aware that this in particular is a traditional pan chang knot (or the mystic knot), which whilst a commonly seen decoration during the Lunar New Year, is also one of the symbols of Buddhism symbolising the cycle of life. As far as I’ve gathered when researching this knot, it is sometimes worn (and it’s supposed to bestow good fortune on those who do), though I couldn’t find any examples of this. I’m hoping that considering this and that this is a Disneybounding outfit, wearing these as hair accessories would not be disrespectful. However, if it would be, then I will probably replace these with plain tassels or maybe even just gold bow hair clips.

This is one of my favourite brooches ever, it gets so much wear and works with practically anything.

This one is also nice, it has a lovely drape and is just the right length. (Also, please ignore the weird splash stains on the dress. I did not notice them until I took the photos and to be honest, I'm not sure where they came from in the first place.)

The outfit may feel like it’s skimping on accessories a bit, but I don’t feel like anything is missing. The bow brooch helps distribute the gold a bit more evenly through the coord, as well as add a touch of extra interest to the bodice and skirt. And while I’m not sure yet where I’d place the other brooch, there are enough possibilities and it’s so versatile that it could even work as a necklace. Because when I looked at my red necklaces, none of them appealed to me (except *maybe* the After Midnight bow one, so that’s a maybe), the same with rings with the added caveat of me not particularly liking rings (though if I really want to, I can take that same pegasus one for a spin again), and thanks to the long sleeves I don’t need anything extra for my wrists. So this really is enough. The colours and the various pieces are enough to convey the idea and do the talking in this coordinate, don’t you think?


The Park

Although not necessarily my favourite park, it’s a bit hard to not like Epcot. Just like Pegasus, Mushu isn’t really much of a part of any of the parks and could potentially be tagged along into Animal Kingdom. However, Mulan very much is someone that one can meet in Epcot and that is reason enough to pick that park for this outfit.

Moreover, from what I remember of Epcot, it’s also more of a “be there and vibe” kind of park. Which means it doesn’t matter if I get a bit more dressed up or if by the time I get round to it I’m a bit tired and need to chill - both will work equally. Since it seems that by the time I might be able to go, park reservations will still be mandatory, I can plan that a bit more closely, maybe even purposefully make Epcot the chill one and go with a slightly more casual version of this outfit for comfort whilst I go and vibe in the various country zones and gorge on some delicious overpriced food.

The iconic 'ball'. The ride inside of it was quite cool too from what I remember.

Summary

  • Are the tassels too much? Should I replace them with something less conspicuous?
  • Will have to decide on which shoes to wear with this coord, but that’s for much later.
  • Figure out where to place the vintage brooch in the coord.
  • Remember to pack the red x gold bow necklace from After Midnight for ‘just in case’.

 

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.