Spooky Month Meet

10:00:00

The Month of Halloween will be over shortly and while I couldn’t be happier about this, I will admit that I enjoyed Halloween this year. I’ve learnt to appreciate the social side of it and the cute aesthetic (black cats, chubby pumpkins, adorable ghosts and all that spoop), and realised that in fact many people who enjoy Halloween share with me the dislike of horror gore/genre/stuff. Maybe this will motivate me to be a little bit better prepared next year.

| Metamorphose Swallow-tail Jacquard jacket | Infanta Swan Lake blouse | Bodyline L380 skirt | Innocent World Union
Flag Lame
OTKs | offbrand shoes, scarf, jewellery and barette |

The vampire boy's pre-vampire portrait.

With the teeth

Having said that, this is the coord I’ve been saving up and the meet I’ve been saving it up for. While I would’ve much preferred to have gone with the ouji version, the trousers I ordered haven’t even been shipped yet. This was going to be my Interview with the Vampire coord, so in the absence of pants I did a genderbent version. I must say, I am a little in love with this jacket, it’s such a flattering piece and the brocade-y/jacquard-y textured fabric feels so luxurious. It was also a comfortable look to wear all day, thanks to minimal hair and makeup and lower heels. Though while I layered like crazy underneath, it wasn’t quite enough for the chill that struck.

On Sunday the Leeds comm ventured out to Huddersfield. I’ve never been, despite it being right next door – mostly because there isn’t anything outstanding about it, so unless you have a reason (e.g. meeting friends) you get pretty much the same stuff as where I am. The plan was to go to the Northern Tea House for lunch and cakes, then head out of Huddersfield to Kirklees Light Railway to board the ghost train.

The Northern Tea House was really nice, I did not expect to like it as much as I did. The food was lovely (no pictures because I was too hungry) and upon many recommendations I tried the hot chocolate, which was indeed delicious! This is one reason for me to hang out in Huddersfield a bit more, which I may actually do.

For whatever reason, the music in the background was all musical theatre and as we had the entire upstairs to ourselves, as well as a handful of musical theatre students/ex-students/enthusiasts, much of the conversation revolved around that. As always, it was nice to sit somewhere cosy and just chat, especially as there were some people I’ve not seen in a long while.

Then we braved the cold and got a taxi to Kirklees Light Railway. It is a fair trek out of town, a good 20 minute drive, so we shared a taxi. But once we got there – the whole place was on top spoop that night! The green light made me almost look alive!

The welcome is almost like in Hotel Transylvania.

Decorations were on point!

The creature of the night has woken up from its slumber.

As a massive wimp, I was worried, since the website for this specified that parents with young children be aware it’s a scary event. What about wimpy adults, KLR, huh? In the end, all was good though. The baby-Goth Thomas the Tank Engine was quite amusing and the whole ride was definitely aimed at kids. There were some character decorations by the tracks, like ghosts and skeletons, all of which looked obviously ‘we went to a bargain shop and got all the Halloween décor we could find’.

Even the story was more of a mish-mash of all things vaguely spooky. While I didn’t catch everything (not sure whether because of the background noise or the speaker being a bit meh), but as far as I’ve gathered our train carried someone who was meant to deliver a jar with a cursed mummy’s liver to another museum. But halfway through that guy got distracted by the mummy’s tomb, which he opened, unleashing a bunch of mummies on us. After trading the jar for our lives, he turned the train back where we came from. In between there were some funny fillers, mostly playing up to any Yorkshire stereotypes or jokes, like saying the curse is that the mummy can’t have even a pint of ale without its liver. Along the ways there were a few moments where someone banged on the side of the train, but other than the mummy attack (where something came over me and I nearly punched one of the actors who opened our carriage door) the jump scares weren’t more than that.

Thomas the Tank Engine went through hell and back to be there that night.

The train was a lot more kiddy than I imagined from the description of the whole event.

So all was good in the end. It was a fun experience, which I definitely wouldn’t have done had this not been made into a meet. It’d be nice to check out some of the other themed events they do, although that might have to wait a while purely because of how awkwardly it’s located.

Did you have a Halloween meet this weekend? Or maybe you’re doing something tomorrow? Scary train rides – yay or nay? In all seriousness though, I am so happy that Halloween’s over now – just Bonfire Night to get through and then I can start my Christmas excitement. Because I stopped giving a damn and just do what makes me happy.

Bonus photos of the same coord but from the Friday. I wore it out to a family Halloween do, so one's together with my parents and Spy, our kitten (who wasn’t keen on selfies), and one's just me being spoopy with a Capri Sun - I mean, blood, duh!

Happy Halloween from the whole spooky clan! 

It's true, all blood does taste the same.


No comments:

Powered by Blogger.