1 Dress 4 Looks Take 34

10:00:00

Ever since I’ve worn Lady Sloth’s Winter Spices skirt in five different ways last December, I knew that this post would be a challenge. In a way it’s good that I got my immediate go-to ideas out of the way already, as this really forced me to think creatively. It won’t stop me from actually wearing this skirt with whites, reds and the occasional brown and black, but at least this post gave me an opportunity to see what else might work. And as a result I discovered that Winter Spices is an even more versatile print than I had previously thought.

Look 1: Festive Green

| Axes Femme cutsew | Metamorphose Dressy OTKs | Innocent World heels | Imperial Fiddlesticks headbow | offbrand brooch | 4 Aces and Jane Marple rings |
Ok, this may not be the best start to proving how versatile this skirt is. Red and green is a typical colour combination for Christmas coordinates – which is why I wanted to get it out of the way now. This outfit, or a version of it, was something I had considered wearing as one of my work coords last December. I can’t remember why I decided not to in the end. But it has a chance to be showcased now.

Look 2: Winter Snowflake

| Axes Femme cardigan | Metamorphose Snow Crystal OTKs | Sosic Shop heels | Cutie Creator headbow | Sweet Dolly House snowflake brooch | offbrand necklace | Angelic Pretty Cute Ribbon wrist cuffs |
Yes, we’re still on seasonal themes. However, a white and sax with pops of gold is not the colour scheme you’d think to put together with this warm-toned print. I quite like it, but then you know me, I’ll always try to put reds and blues together. I think if you add enough of them into the coord, you can get away with adding a colour to an outfit that’s not featured in the print. Just make sure there’s enough of it to look intentional, as well as balanced, otherwise it ends up looking like an afterthought.

Look 3: Sweetie Cutie

| Dear Celine blouse | Haenuli Secret Garden tights | Metamorphose heels | Angelic Pretty Twinkle Sky headbow | After Midnight doughnut clip | Mademoiselle Boutique necklace | Angelic Pretty Logo Ribbon Charm wrist cuffs |
Pinks are always a good colour combo with reds. Thanks to the light fabric of the blouse and generally a lighter colour palette, this coord could almost make this skirt wearable outside of winter. After all, this is just a food print, not that different from other food prints, right? I wish that I had a sweeter red brooch to add to this outfit, as I feel one more pop of red around the neck/chest area would be a good finishing touch. Discovering gaps in your wardrobe is what these posts are for!

Look 4: Warming Mints

| Crown Label cardigan | Haenuli Secret Garden tights | Bodyline heels | offbrand beret | Angelic Pretty Sweet Cream Princess heabow | vintage necklace | Sweet Dolly House and Chocomint rings |
I like the look of red x mint as much as I do red x blue. Although mints probably match a little bit better since they’re just another shade of green, which we all know compliments red. This cardigan is super fluffy and warm, great for colder months. And for warmer weather I’d substitute it with my singular mint blouse and maybe add some wrist cuffs. Pretty versatile, isn’t it? Though I admit, my favourite part is probably that beret and headbow combo. They look so cute together, I feel like I have to wear them sometime soon.


Phew, and we’re done. Once I finally got going, the outfits just came to me like they normally do, but it took a bit of work to get over this initial mental block of ‘I’ve done everything with this skirt already’. Now not only do I have four more coords to wear with this skirt, but I’ve also regained some confidence in my wardrobe. I have a few other pieces that I started to think I ran out of ideas for. Seeing these four looks inspired me to keep at it and work through the creative block instead of going down the easy route of selling them. Not without a fight first.

Do you have any pieces that you think you’ve worn in all the possible ways that you can? Does it bother you, and if so – do you think you’ll sell the piece or try coming up with something first?

2 comments:

  1. In most cases, I am not that creative with my pieces. I often try to create one ‘ultimate’ coordinate and don’t usually differ from it too much. It doesn’t really bother me because I don’t have this goal to wear something in a new way all the time. I know there is this pressure for us to wear new coordinates all the time but on the other hand it is also exciting to come up with new coordinates from the same piece. Anyway, I do feel inspired to try and experiment a bit more. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that there is pressure within the community to constantly showcase new outfits and ways to wear a dress. I personally enjoy pushing my creativity and trying new things, but I do my best to not let any pressure get to me (because it is only perceived and in my head) and it won't stop me from re-wearing outfits. It's probably never going to be showcased because not only social media conditions us to show something new each time, but also on a practical level people simply don't have the energy to photograph the same outfit basically every time. They'll focus more on capturing events/occasions and what they were doing rather than the outfit itself. if I was able to inspire you to try something new, then that's amazing - but do it for you, not for anyone or anything else. :)

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.