Another Frilly Weekend

10:00:00

I am definitely at the stage now where lolita fashion is part of my life even when there isn’t much happening, as evidenced by last weekend. Although not quite daily yet, I certainly seem to have become a lifestyler in a way, haven’t I?

Saturday

| BtSSB Sugar Bouquet Shirring Princess JSK | Primark blouse | Axes Femme poncho | Angelic Pretty Salon de The Rose OTKs | Angelic Pretty Dolly Chiffon headbow | Primark necklace | offbrand ring (not pictured here because I forgot, it's below on a detail shot) |

It may seem weird to do makeup when just lounging at home - but this was minimal enough for me to still feel comfortable.

The only Primark blouse I tracked down as if it was a dream dress. 100% worththat effort.

My plans for Saturday weren’t particularly exciting and to be honest, I didn’t even get round to like half of them. Part of me was also incredibly tempted to simply stay in pyjamas all day, but I made myself dress up and don’t regret that. The coord that I initially prepared for that day was cute, but not quite cosy enough. I guess that I got into my own head a little too much, thinking that I have to be original and do something new every time I wear a piece. These feelings were also making me think that maybe it’s time to part with this dress. However, in the end I switched my idea up for something a lot more comfortable and while I can’t say that the thoughts of selling this dress are completely gone, I’m determined to at least try to wear it once more or put some new flatlays with it before making any final decisions. There’s nothing in particular that I can say about this coordinate besides the fact that it was comfortable. I was trying out some new circle lenses that day, which I must say I’m pretty happy with and may reorder in the future. It’s been a hot minute since I wore circle lenses though, so I only had them in for a few hours.

My day consisted mostly of blogging. I had ambitious plans of doing some polymer clay crafts in preparation for Barcelona, however, I ended up spending a bit longer on the phone with my Mum than I anticipated, so that went out of the window. I’ll get round to those eventually, maybe even during the week (thatd be a bloody miracle that!). As I’m slowly approaching a very busy time in terms of lolita events and meetups, the more blogging I can get done in advance, the better I’ll feel going away and enjoying myself at those events. Dont get me wrong, I enjoy blogging, so Im doing that for myself as well as to keep putting up something for you to read. A day spent blogging is a good day in my books.

Then in the evening I finished off watching season 2 of Midnight Diner (which I loved just as much as season 1), before getting started on some Ghibli. Netflix UK has finally started adding some Studio Ghibli films to its offering, after Netflix US and Japan had them for years. It’s doing so in batches, the first one landing on February 1st with I believe 6 or 8 films to enjoy. Now, I’m not the type to marathon or binge watch – instead I have a much more realistic goal of a film a night. It won’t be every night, but even then I should get through all of that batch before new ones are added in March (I believe?). For Saturday’s viewing I picked Kiki’s Delivery Service, which Ive seen before, yet somehow wasn’t so keen on then. I decided to give it another go, partly because it’s Ghibli and it deserves it, and partly for reasons that will become clear later. And while I still wouldn’t put it anywhere near my top 5, I was able to appreciate it for what it is. As I watched it in Japanese with English subtitles, it was interesting to spot places where the translator made choices to diverge from the original. I think the first time I watched was the dubbed version and while I can’t remember what those voices sounded like, I have an inkling that I enjoyed the English cast better than the Japanese? I dunno, I’m probably getting myself confused now. Nonetheless, I enjoyed watching the film, its not my favourite from the Ghibli Family and thats ok, I can still enjoy all the cute Jiji merch.

Overall, I had a nice, albeit uneventful Saturday and wearing some casual, cosy frills made the day feel that little bit more special than it probably was. Up until I transformed myself pack into my cosy pyjamas, which I got for Christmas – livin’ dat Olaf lyf, you know.

Have a picture of my Olaf self. We're not Instagram perfect 100% of the time and 2020 is about time to normalise that.


Sunday

| Resailan Jewelry Box JSK | Lady Sloth Glitter Mesh blouse | Angelic Pretty Musee du Chocolat OTKs | Deary heels | Haruhi Clover headbow | H&M earrings | Risu Rose necklace | Dalao Home wig | Glasses Lit specs |

My eyeshadow was navy, very similar to the headbow colour.

This headbow is cute enough to deserve having a detail shot.

My plans for Sunday were somewhat more ambitious and as such deserved dressing up a bit more. After not wearing it since December 2018, I finally took Jewelry Box for the spin it deserved. After several slightly awkward attempts before, I think I’ve finally found a petticoat that works with this skirt, so hopefully this will lead to wearing this JSK more. Although I could’ve done something nice with my hair, I enjoy the contrast of the glittery navy headbow against the blonde wig – and putting the wig on required just a smidge less thought than coming up with something myself. Whilst I’m not 100% happy with my makeup, it did end up working much better in the end than it seemed when I started. It’s funny how without the coordinate the makeup can look like way too much and then fade so much against the elaborate clothes.

As the weather was dry and even sunny, despite forecasts of rain, I decided to finally do something I’d been planning since moving: visit Ordsall Hall. Shortly after moving I discovered that down the road from me is a Tudor mansion, nestled between contemporary residential and industrial buildings, and kept meaning to visit while life kept throwing obstacles at me. But enough is enough, it’s been 5 months since I moved already and as I don’t know yet where I’ll end up moving to this summer, it was time I take advantage of being so close to it and go. Had the weather turned out to be as rainy as forecast, I wouldve probably done some filming, though I am not in the slightest bit upset that I was able to visit.

A bit of history in a modern world that doesn't think about the Tudors much anymore beyond their History GCSEs.

Let's crop the modern builings out though, they ruin the picture. This side of the Hall is actually a later, XVIIIth century one.

An island of beauty amidst unattractive urban architecture.

Can you imagine living in one of those houses and looking out at a Tudor manor from your window every single day? Way to make you feel like a peasant (even though Ordsall Hall is now a council-owned museum and not a lived-in property).

Another reminder that this is in the middle of a residential/industrial area. All the surroundings would've been fields when this was constructed and at least until the early Victorian period, possibly even the XXth century.

I kid you not, it took me exactly 11 minutes on foot to get from my doorstep to Ordsall Hall, in heels and at moderate pace, stopping once or twice for things like holding the door for someone. I tried to capture a bit of how much it sticks out, which will hopefully help you understand how surprised I was when I first discovered it. According to one of the employees there, it’s a very common experience for people. I guess that Brits expect old mansions like this to be owned by the National Trust, so those that are not are only really known to locals, history fanatics and those who really research things to do in their neighbourhoods.

Finally some non-aggressive swans.

This is actually the front of the mansion.

The XVth century side of Ordsall Hall. I also learnt that the black and white 'medieval' buildings you see or associate with the period were actually painted that way by the Victorians who believed they were preserving them this way. It often did more damage than preservation, and it looks much nicer with natural, unpainted wood, but I appreciate that they were trying their best within what they knew.

This was taken with a selfie camera, hence the mirror look.

My original plan was just to stroll around the hall, however, luck would have it that I made it in time for the walking tour. I didn’t even know that this would take place and as it cost only £3.50, which is waaay less than some places charge for entrance (Ordsall Hall is free), I signed myself up. It ended up being just the volunteer guide, one couple and myself who did the tour, although there was a fair number of visitors around the place. Still, I’m glad I went with the guided tour as I ended up learning a lot about Ordsall Hall, its residents and history, as well as about life in Tudor times and general titbits of knowledge. Our guide, a lady named Cynthia, had a tendency to get a little sidetracked, which always results in fun things to be learnt. She knew a lot, but it was also clear that she was passionate about the hall and its history, that she kept reading up new bits of research for her own pleasure – guides like this, who are enthusiasts themselves, are the best. While I’m sure the other volunteer guides would do just as great a job, I would recommend taking the tour if Cynthia is running it.

One of the entrances to the Great Hall. This door would've led to the kitchen, but after some restorations the kitchen was moved further away within the building.

The Great Hall. Ordsall Hall is available for hiring and I really want to have a lolita party here. Just think of the photo ops!

Ceiling admiration post.

Another thing I learnt is that in Tudor times furniture was kept to the minimum and one piece would serve a multitude of purposes. And that Tudor nobles were somewhat obsessed with chairs, as only the nobles really had them, everyone else sat on benches. Funny how you sort of subconsciously understand bits of knowledge like this, but not consciously know them.

Once the tour was finished I made sure to go back to take some pictures, as well as to look at bits we missed. When I discovered the existence of this place, it was Ordsall Hall that seemed out of place amidst modern building right by a busy main road. However, once inside it seemed that it was that road and the modern buildings I could see from the windows that were out of place. How could there be a residential block or a film studio outside when you’re inside a Tudor mansion with areas dating as far back as the 1300s?

The Great Chamber, which would've served as the living quarters of the lady of the house.

Half a barrel that was used as a bath. I fully approve of baths being more of a relaxation thing, as evidenced by the wine and a snack.
 
A closed pomegranate fruit painting restored from the XIIIth century original.

And this is said XIIIth century original. Given its age, it's still pretty clear, you can tell the shapes and colours pretty well.

Reproduction Elizabethan gown. One like this was what Margaret Redclyffe would've worn as a 'uniform' in her role as a maid of honour to Queen Elizabeth I. Margaret was a descendant of the Redclyffe family who owned Ordsall Hall for 13 generations.

The Star Chamber, named after the stars on the ceiling (which are not Tudor, but later, though we can't date how much later). These would've been the lord's quarters.

Check out this fancy af marital bed. Whilst the furniture at Ordsall Hall are either reproductions from the period or museum pieces, this is an original and one that actually belonged to the Redclyffe family, judging by the coats of arms and the bull imagery all over (bulls were to the Redclyffes what lions were to the Lannisters, basically).

Although this time I passed on visiting the café, I will next time. Because I’m determined to ensure there is a next time. This wonderful piece of history is practically on my doorstep and it’s free to enter. There are still areas I haven’t explored, particularly outdoors in the gardens, and the atmosphere is wonderfully peaceful, both inside and out. The staff were absolutely lovely and welcoming, as well as really complimenting of my outfit. I left with a leaflet of events happening there, as well as at the Salford Museum and Gallery (which is conveniently next door to where I work) and upon getting home, I made a mental note of attending some of these. But even without that I’d love to just go back and hang out there, the same way as people go to parks. This is much nicer than a park after all.

After that, once home, I changed back into my Olaf pyjamas again, made myself dinner (not having lunch before going to Ordsall Hall was not the smartest decision) and curled up under a blanket with another Ghibli film: Ocean Waves. This was one I hadn’t seen before and I had only a vague idea of what to expect.Whilst I did have issues with some of the plot or characters, I still enjoyed the viewing. Its not one of Ghiblis popular films and I can understand why. However, it also felt aimed more at teens rather than children (like My Neighbour Totoro or Kikis Delivery Service do), which is probably why I enjoyed it more despite some disagreements. I think this is it, my Ghibli niche is that of the films aimed at the slightly older audience. Maybe once Ive watched everything that Netflix UK is due to add, I will do a final ranking of all of those films. Would anyone be interested in reading that?


No comments:

Powered by Blogger.